Welcome to the Cube Project website. On this site, you can find out about our low-energy microhomes, designed by Dr Mike Page at the University of Hertfordshire and built under licence by our partner Bolton Buildings. You can find out below about QB2, our production model, as seen on George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces on UK’s Channel 4 TV. By choosing from the menu bar above, you can also find out about QB-Move, a second design, with moving walls, that featured on Channel 4′s Gadget Man.
If you wish to enquire about purchasing any of our buildings, they will be available from our partners Bolton Buildings as a kit of parts for self-assembly, or as a complete building at various stages. Please contact Trevor at Bolton Buildings
QB2 is a practical, modern microhome, in which one person or a couple can live a comfortable low-carbon life.
QB2 has a 3m x 4m floor plan and has a 3m internal height. Though compact in size, it enjoys:
- A fully functional kitchen (with hob, oven, fridge-freezer)
- A 4m-long galley bathroom
- A two-seater sofa and two further ottomans, for 4-person dining/sitting or 2-person lounging
- A four-seater table, movable to reconfigure the seating area
- A full sized double bed
- Ample storage space
Low-energy options offer the potential for zero energy-bills together with regular incentive payments from the Government’s feed-in-tariff and renewable heat incentive. Options include:
- A highly insulated construction, with Passivhaus-standard windows and door
- Low-energy lighting (LED) and appliances (TV, washing machine)
- Mechanical heat-recovery ventilation
- Very efficient heating and hot water, using an Ecodan air-source heat pump
- Full carbon-neutrality, using up to 3kWp of photovoltaic solar panels
QB2 is a post-and-beam structure developed jointly with Bolton Buildings. The outer structure can be assembled and made waterproof in around 4 hours and the whole structure (including inner and outer wall surfaces, the windows/door, the insulation, and the electrical wiring) can be completed in 3-4 days. Options exist for cladding and for fitting out and, once constructed, QB2 is easily transported by road and sited wherever a static caravan is permitted.
QB2 is an ideal living space:
- For “boomerang kids” or others seeking independent housing
- For leisure/holiday purposes, usable all year round
- For emergency accommodation, e.g. in post-disaster situations
- For construction workers or other workers in remote locations
Again, if you wish to enquire about purchasing any of our buildings, they will be available from our partners Bolton Buildings as a kit of parts for self-assembly, or as a complete building at various stages. Please contact Trevor at Bolton Buildings